All work planned within street right-of-way requires a permit in the form of a “Road Impact Agreement” to be developed and established by the Elkhart County Highway Department. This work includes installation of commercial or residential driveways, utility work, road work, or anything classified as special use.
The standard “Road Impact Agreement” form will be used for all applications. Commercial driveway, utility, road work, oversize/overload and special use applications will require a fee of $75 minimum, depending on the amount of work to be completed. Any commercial or utility work completed within the right-of-way prior to obtaining a permit requires a fee of $750.
All residential driveway permits will require a fee of $45. Any work completed within the right-of-way without the proper permit in place may be subject to a $500 fee.
Each application will be subject to review for drainage compliance and geometric compliance per traffic assessment. In addition, all construction disturbing more than one acre will be reviewed for MS4 post construction compliance.
Application & Details
- Road Impact Agreement Form For Residential and Commercial Driveways
- Road Impact Agreement Form for Utility Installations
- Oversize/Overweight Permit Application
- Drainage Easement Agreement
- Residential Driveway Permit Application Packet
- Residential Driveway Minimum Requirements (Figure 5)
- Commercial Driveway Permit Application Packet
- Commercial Driveway Minimum Requirements (Figure 6)
- Accel/Decel Tapers Standard Detail #2
- TIVE: Traffic Impact Vehicular Estimation
- ADT Map
- 2017 Street Standards
For all permit questions please contact the Highway Department office at
PAYMENTS PAYABLE TO: “Elkhart County Treasurer”
SURETY IN FAVOR OF: “Elkhart County Board of Commissioners”
PAYMENTS AND SURETIES SHOULD BE SENT TO: Elkhart County Highway, Engineering Department, 610 Steury Avenue, Goshen, Indiana 46528